SailNet Community - View Single Post - StartLine Sailing Racing Android App
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Re: StartLine Sailing Racing Android App

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Kind of agree with both Brian and Overbored. Is this like talking on your cellphone while you're driving? Whether I'm headed to Bermuda or 'round the buoys, if I'm looking at a screen instead of the boats around me any time within three minutes of the start, I'm likely to hit something expensive. If I have crew to tell me what the screen is showing, they could just as easily be sighting the line and warning me about other boats hidden by the jib at the same time. Oh, and think about buying an ad. (Bet the guys on SA aren't so polite.)
Do you do your starts without a watch? No GPS to help you get to the marks? Obviously no Velocitek or Rock Box Blue.

Personally I find this app very helpful. I mount a tablet in the cabin where I can see it with a quick glance. On a tablet the numbers are 1 inch high and easy to see quickly. I know there are some boats that can use this on a phone hand held but not all. This is a very powerful app for very little money. I think I might raise the price to $49.99 to gain some respect for what this thing can do. This is not a toy.

As far as buying an ad goes, lighten up folks. I can't buy one if the folks at SA don't reply to my request for a quote can I? I put in my request before I made the first post in this thread as I recall.

Perhaps a little background. I worked building electronic test equipment for 21 years. I have a dozen or so patents to show for it. I consider myself something of an expert on test methods. Then I went to a small company where we happened to invent the cable modem. I went from engineering to become the divisions VP/GM. From there I went to a big blue company you all know and love where I was GM of a small operation. I left there and ended up writing the L-36.com web site and keep that up for the sailing community. That is a free site although it does generate a small amount of revenue. It is ranked above many other sailing sites, just above Quantumsails.com for example but nowhere near this site. I have had my boat since 1989 and am presently enjoying some success in our club racing. It is not high stakes racing but we won 85% of our races last year. I tried every racing app I could find at the time and wrote the shortcomings of them in articles on L-36.com for all to see. I did not want to write this app but did because nothing else was acceptable. This one works in race conditions.

I am sure you are a hot shot racer and don't need any help to win every start and if so more power to you. I am trying to help people who could benefit from an app that is more powerful than much of the dedicated equipment out there that costs hundreds of dollars. That said it isn't for everyone.

Allen
L-36.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook