SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going thru alternator belts???
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Going thru alternator belts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"but I recognize the wisdom of a world standard measurement system. "
Right, so you can go to any pub in any country and order a half-liter of beer instead of a proper pint.
New units such as "sleeves" have taken the place of pints of brew

Quote:
And go to any ballpark and order a "three point three decimeter dog" instead of a foot-long frank

Just order a dog or a "lip" - what my friends and I have called them since we were kids. A friends mother said they were "nothing but lips & noses" and they instantly and forevermore became "lips" to us.

Quote:
As to money being metric(ish), well, maybe Loonies are, but dollars aren't.
They certainly ARE - our common "dollar" currency system is base 10 - what is that if not "metric"

Quote:
computers do the rate conversions automatically, invisibly, and slipping the rounding errors into appropriate pockets?
Were you aware that was the first known instance of computer embezzlement? Back in the 60's a bank computer programmer realized that during the myriad calculations of interest each day there were endless occurrences of calculations ending in fractions of a cent. He set up the program to divert those fractions to his account and ended up rich in no time. He was caught of course.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook