SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2012 Sailing Season

23K views 198 replies 23 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
I guess I might as well get this one started.

As mentioned in another thread we're going to try to have monthly raft ups on the Bay. All are welcome. Locations will be announced later but will probably start in March. Last summer when we had one each boat brought an appetizer to contribute and that seemed to work out well.

Hopefully we can also look forward to the annual Sailnet Rendezvous in June.

Let's go sailing!

#2 ·
Weekend Raft-ups

It looks like the 2012 sailing season on the Bay will include monthly raft-ups on the last weekend of each month. If you can come, great but choosing a specific weekend means we can schedule better. Since some of you keep your boats in the water year-round, it was suggested that we begin in March. Brrrr, but OK. No location has been set but maybe the person who suggested that we begin in March would like to suggest one? I forget who it was.

All are welcome. An appetizer to share is also welcome but not required. This is extremely informal so suggestions on how to know who is planning to attend are welcome. Our raft-up last year used email but there were only about five boats involved. We could post here I suppose but it would be helpful to know who is expected in case of emergency.

Let's get the party started!

#3 ·
Great idea Donna, Thank you for getting the ball rolling and spearheading.

We usually do not start sailing for real until April 1 although we have gotten out before then.

I would suggest that we begin with having each of us pick the date of the raft up we would like to "captain" the raft up and that person becomes the organizer for that date and ultimately picks the spot of the raft up. Getting all of us to agree is like herding cats.
This way anyone who wants to step up and champion a date can and can help organize it and maybe pick their favorite spot or hosat it at their marina/ club. The rest of us can anchor out or take slips. There are enough dates that anyone can "captain" and organize the date. Anyone else know of areas with similar facilities and are willing to "captain" a date there for the whole group?

So if we used the last weekends of a month as the criteria that means the following dates ( first date is Saturday)

March24/25-
April 28/29-
May 26/27-
June 9/10 (tennative)- 3rd annual Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club
July 28/29-
August 25/26-
September 29/30-
October 27/28
November 20/21-

I would also suggest that a few of these be close enough to facilities that we can pick up "stragglers" who cannot necessarily make it by boat, or cannot have both days free, but can car it. The June Rondevous at MYC is designed that way and we have gotten many who come by car from othe SN areas. I know on the Rhode River there are facilities for a cookout somehere. Langford Marina has moorings and may let us use their Pavillion if enough of us take slips or moorings. Swan Creek is close to where many of you keep boats. I am thinking that where ever we can do it thhis way it is advantagous, especially if we get a large group, as we generally dont raft like powerboats with 10 boats in a raft up. This way bringing hor douevers to a land pavillion/ grass area by dinghy will allow all of us to meet all of the others.

Just a few suggestions. We of course will do the Rondevous in June at MYC and will pick another date

Dave

Reactions: jameswilson29
#4 ·
Great idea Donna, Thank you for getting the ball rolling and spearheading.
Ball roller and spearheader, that's me. :)

...especially if we get a large group, as we generally dont raft like powerboats with 10 boats in a raft up. This way bringing hor douevers to a land pavillion/ grass area by dinghy will allow all of us to meet all of the others.
Dave
The way we do it in my Catalina club is to make rafts of four or five boats and the raft with the largest boats is the "party raft" and everyone dinghies over to it for appetizers. BYOB.

#5 ·
The way we do it in my Catalina club is to make rafts of four or five boats and the raft with the largest boats is the "party raft" and everyone dinghies over to it for appetizers. BYOB

A lot of us belong to other clubs which raft up like we belong to the C&C Owners club and also keep our boat at the Maryland Yacht Club so I am quite familiar with the concept of rafting up and partying as thats how they all tend to do it. WE do this all the time. Its a great way to see others boats and look inside as well as see others set ups for ideas. Some of the best chinese fire drills I have ever seen was watching rafted boats swing around one anchor when a storm rolled through. Or watch out for them when they drag and cannot get untied and apart fast enough.

For safetys sake we generally do not like to raft up with more than three boats on one anchor, but occasionally do it once in while when light winds and no storms are forecasted. We do have a dinghy on davits that follows us where ever we go so we would have some mobility and would be able to pick other up who do not have one.

Do any of you know areas that have land picnic tables or pavillions or such that we could meet at in the event we have a raft up close by? I think I identified a couple in Langford Bay (Chester River), Rhode River (close to High Island), how about Quiet Waters Park on Harness Creek (South River), Shawn, Isnt there a place in The entrance of the creek leading into Still Pond?, Is there a place we can land on the Wye ( Dave you spend a lot of time there).

Donna....saw you picture in Spinsheets..:):):):):):).

#6 ·
I'm not a huge fan of rafting up overnight either, so see the advantage of seeking shore based gathering places, however I don't have an abundance of ideas about places that would meet those critera. I do seem to remember there was a park with picnic tables adjacent to the dingy dock on San Domigo Creek on the backside of St Michael's that might be a possiblity.

Other than that I can't think of any other place in my area that has shoreside facilites out side of marina's. HHS would be a nice place for a visit if folks are OK with paying for dockage.

#10 ·
We'd be glad to captain the weekend in July or August, location TBD. Maybe Weems Creek off the Severn? We can raft off a Navy mooring - if they're solid enough to hold a YP in a hurricane they can certainly hold 4 or 5 of us! There's a dinghy landing for shoreside visitors, and if folks want to we can also include a repeat of Joe's wonderful photo shoot from the Naval Academy bridge.

Alternatively, if people want to raft in Back Creek we can host at our marina. City moorings and slips are available, and we have lots of amenities - a nice lounge, cafe, pool, small playground. We're having a lot of fun here in St Aug, and staying nice and warm, but missing some of our Chesapeake friends!

#12 · (Edited)
Jaye and Dan,

All the best. Ill bet you guys are having fun....we are shivering here.

Pick a date and you can be the "captain" and determine the direction we go with it. I suggestrd this way as that way there is an obvious organizer. With that pressure and responsibility goes the "privlege" of making the final decisions (with input and opinons of course which all people have.)

Donna and I will take the 3rd Annial Rondevous at MYC June date of course. We will be in the Long Island Sound or NE for the August get together so we would also chose to take the October date if no one objects. October is our favorite month to watch the "geese parade and landing circus " on the Eastern Shore near Cacaway.

There may be a way once I have confirmed the date with the club to dovetail this Roindevous with the OPSail week which is in Baltimore that weekend. The ships will be sailing up the Patapsco right past Rock Creek where our club is located. and Ft McHenry is just up the river about 5 miles.

Dave

#14 ·
[
Some other thoughts...keep it simple and spread out the locations-T37Chef[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words Shawn. The Rondevous has become quite a tradition. First year we had a ballad singer (Craigtoo), that was a hoot.

Hopefully others will volenteer and step up as "Captains" of some of the available dates. That way it would insure it would move around to different parts of the bay. Its still early in the game so there may not be any need to cajole people to step up.

We have narrowed our search to two boats.

Dave

#15 ·
I'm definitely planning on making the Rendezvous this year. Haven't decided if I'll go further north than the Bay this year yet, but most likely not. So I'll be keeping my eye on here.

#16 ·
Looking forward to reconnecting with you, John! Where are you now, and when are you heading north?

#18 ·
I'm still in New Bern, NC. Quit working in Oct, but felt too rushed to head south, so I decided to stay over and head north in the spring. That way (after 3 years, gasp) I can take some time here in Carolina to bounce around and get the boat and me back in cruising condition before heading back out for good. Probably end up spending the summer on the Bay before heading south for the winter. Certainly looking forward to meeting back up with those I've already met, and meeting those I haven't yet.

#19 ·
Back to the original purpose of this thread ... we'll take the lead for the July gathering. It will be somewhere in the Annapolis area; exact location TBD weather depending. If the weather is going to be really hot, we'll host at our marina so people have the option of plugging into A/C for sleeping; swimming pool; and the air conditioned lounge for the evening gathering. (There are still anchor-out possibilities within easy dinghy range for those heat-hardy souls.) If the weather will be milder, we'll find a more relaxed place up the Severn. Either way, the raftup will include a Sunday morning photo op at the Naval Academy bridge for those who missed it two years ago.

#20 ·
Chef mentioned picnicing facilities on the Rhode River-

I live up in White Marsh Creek, on the Rhode, in a water-access neighborhood. It's a bit further up than the traditional anchorages such as High Island, but not far. It's also very, very sheltered with a muddy bottom and good holding.

My neighborhood has a dock, a small private beach, and a small pavilion and grill for gatherings. I can reserve it for a weekend (free of charge). People who want to come by car, are welcome and I can provide my Avon dinghy as a taxi to get people ashore for a bar-b-que.

I provide the facility, you guys provide the grub.

#21 ·
Bubble....great idea. Is there room for anchoring? Some rafted boats? Dept of the water? Why dont you take one of the weekend dates mentioned above and become the "Captain" for that weekend and lock it in with a reservation so we dont get shut out. June, July, and October are already taken.

We will come and feed you:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher:laugher

This is moving along nicely

Dave

#23 ·
Yes, there is room for anchoring and rafting. Holiday Hills Marina is directly across the cove from me. You could easily swim from the marina to my side of the cove (but I would taxi you over in my Avon).

Depth in the middle of the cove gets down to about 5 feet, during the really, really low tides but between 7 & 9 feet during more normal tidal swings.

#22 ·
Jaye,

Great idea from you. We have our picture (poster size) that Joe gave us from the last photo shoot hung prominantly in our house and I actually brought it to our small get together at the Irish Pub a few weeks ago for those there to see. I am all for another photo shoot. You idea about doing it in July in the Annapolis area/ your marinia sound like a good plan. Donna and I are in

Dave

#24 ·
Bubble,

Let us know when you get it reserved if you dont mind so we can take that date off the list. We will feed you. We also have a dink on davits and are willing to ferry others.

Dave

#25 · (Edited)
Anyone up for kicking off the "last weekend of the month" meetups/raft-ups with another land based dinner on Saturday 2/25? We were thinking Langermann's in Canton would be a good spot. I'm happy to count heads and make a reservation if there's substantial interest.

#30 ·
Chesapeake February dinner

Not sure if people saw my post above about getting the Chesapeake Bay sailors together to kick off the "last weekend of the month" meetups/raft-ups with another land based dinner. Let's meet on Saturday 2/25 at 6:30 PM at Langermann's in Canton. I'm happy to count heads and make a reservation.

Dave, I've got you and Donna down!

Who else is in?

#35 ·
meetup

I wont be able to make the meetup this weekend. I will be leaving for a Medical Mission to Guatemala that day. Anyone interested in a raft -up near Solomons? I would be glad to help arranging it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.