SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I Need an EPIRB?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do I Need an EPIRB?

By the way, a couple of raft points.

The number of advertised places is just like tents. At capacity, they are very crowded. The only way you are filling them to capacity is with everyone sitting around the outside, with their knees in their chest. Its very uncomfortable. Assume you need two more places than you have people you might actually put inside. ie. A 4 place for a cruising couple works.

Also, if you've never practiced getting aboard a life raft from the water, you probably have no idea how difficult it can be. The smartest option one can buy is an inflatable boarding ramp. Once you've tried the standard web ladders, you'll get it. Boarding practice is part of Day 2 of the Safety at Sea program.

As for getting in a dinghy in an emergency. Have you tried it from the water? How about with an inflated PFD in your way? I have trouble stepping in from the boat in rocking anchorage, can't imagine it in open water seas over a couple of feet. Then staying aboard is also questionable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-27-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook