SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Super thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Jim, only have a quick moment, but watned to answer your questions a bit.
Hey, you answered more than a bit-- as usual you offered a detailed and complete response. I know exactly what you mean about the "good old days" when money was extremely thin but life incredibly enjoyable. My wife and I started in one bedroom flat over a bicycle shop, with me making $500 a month as a writer, and we rode our bikes more than we drove our car. Top Ramen, day-old bagels, and marked-down meats were the staples of our diet. They were great days, but almost 20 years have passed.

The part of your answer that was most important to me is that you continued to have work (at least some) over the Internet as you cruised. With some planning and prep, I think that could be an interesting avenue, and I'm happy to hear it worked for you. The most recent Goodlander article in Cruising World this month notes that his ongoing work operates on a similar basis.

Good luck on your book, and don't worry about writing for us too much or too often. I'd be happy to see an article or even a letter from you in Latitude 38 or Lats and Atts, if you haven't done so already.

Jim H
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook