SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Hey Bloodhunter, you post some good points.

I found this and posted it a while back:

Taken from:
HMS Bounty captain 'wasn't gambling' with lives, wife says | Sympatico.ca News

"A local public television interview with Walbridge from the summer included a quote from the captain saying that he had previously chased hurricanes.

In the interview, Walbridge said "you try and get up as close to the eye of it as you can, and you stay down in the southeast quadrant, and when it stops, you stop. You don't want to get in front of it - you want to stay behind it. But you'll also get a good ride out of a hurricane."

McCann said Tuesday that during the public television interview her husband was "being a little?cute, I guess."

"But he would like hurricanes because they pushed him, they made him go fast. And he's been in many hurricanes. I mean, I can't even count the number of hurricanes he's been in."

McCann said her husband had been trying to navigate around the storm "and get on the east side of it, which is what he did do."

She said that in the weeks since the ship went down, she has learned of a series of "unfortunate circumstances" at sea, including overwhelmed pumps and generator problems.

The crew has been "extremely supportive and caring and loving" since the sinking, McCann said, adding that the first mate spoke to her about her husband's dedication to safety."

Last edited by casey1999; 11-27-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook