SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

JudyM
It may be that your rig is idfferent than mine. Enchantress has a big main and we've found that with the main and the 135 genoa up in the 10-15 kt winds we usually get, Enchantress will lay right over when we're on the wind. We don't go any faster, we just get wetter. Generally with the main and 110 we get 7 to 8 kts on the wind at about a 20 degree angle of heel which is what we like. On a beam reach in 15+ kts we've had her up over 10 kts. Actually took a reef in the main without affecting the speed. In light winds we furl the jib and use the gennaker. If the wind isn't going where we want, we go somewhere else.
We use two blocks on the toe rail. The beam is so narrow for our 46-ft boats that I didn't think it really needed an inside track.
You'll find that Juju's long narrow hull is very easily driven through the water in all but the lightest winds. You'll also find that the full keel keeps you on course when you're off the wind.
Once you customize Juju (that does never really end) you'll have a boat you'll really love with the added bonus of being one of the really classy looking boats around.
Just one added thing, Enchantress came with really good inner-spring mattresses for the forward and quarter berths. I don't know if Juju came with them, but if she didn't somewhere down the line you should think about getting them. They really make a difference.