SailNet Community - View Single Post - Domicile or Residence...
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Domicile or Residence...

So I'm considering several options that I could implement over the next few years as I move on to the next chapter.

1. Stay here in VA and cruise part time.

2. Sell everything and cruise full time.

3. Sell my house and buy another small place in another, more tax friendly location and do some combination of 1 and 2.

4. Sell, not buy, but rent somewhere else and cruise.

The trouble is if establish residency somewhere else, SOME states try to tax the hell out of you even if you aren't there more than half the year. (I believe MN is one) (Not that I want to live THERE!) You need to establish SOME place as your domicile of record. And nowadays you have to have a PHYSICAL address to get a driver's license and you need to have some place of residence for your USCG Doc paperwork.

I was wondering what full time cruiser's do and what folks do that cruise part of the year and then spend part of the year ashore. I wouldn't mind having a house that I live in for 3, 4 months of the year, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay state taxes to someplace that I don't claim as my domicile.
And what about Ex-Pats? If you're living outside the country and aren't even in the US except maybe a month for visiting do you even have to claim a state of residence?

Just wondering how to deal w/ this issue.