SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Fixed mount at the Nav desk with Ram in the cockpit for us as well. This also allows you to use your eyes when speaking with or assisting the CG.
I had the experience of helping a disabled boat (lost steering for some reason), he was giving the CG bad information and the CG could not find him.
We were in the area and saw a boat that looked to be disabled about 3 miles form our location; no sails up and boobing in relativity big seas miles form any shoreline.
I made contact with the CG on VHF-16 knowing they were looking for him. As soon as I made contact with the CG the disabled boat shot off a flare confirming he was in fact the boat the CG was looking for. Had I not been in the cockpit I probably would have missed the flare.
RAM mic in cockpit allows you to see what's going on around you while communicating.
Well said. Pretty much answers the OP's question. If the disabled boat was communicating via cell phone, or you hadn't been monitoring 16 and heard the communication in the cockpit (if thats where you were), you probably would have been oblivious to his situation. In big seas, the shoreline might not have been "miles from him" for long!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook