SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
... But does anyone know (not rumor but fact) whether Walbridge actually did any of the things he talked about -- chasing hurricanes, running under bare poles in a 70 kt wind, etc. I mean true hurricane-force winds and seas, not a near gale with some gusts of 50 kts. Watching the interview I had a feeling he had not, but I really don't know. I have to confess that some 50 years ago, through an act of supreme stupidity by myself and three other young men, I was caught in a similar situation to that of the Bounty in more or less the same area. We were lucky to survive. I just can't imagine anyone who has gone through a hurricane in a small boat talking as blithely about it as Walbridge did in that interview.
Well, since we're placing bets, I'll wager that we will never learn - through the Official Investigation, or otherwise - the names/dates of the 2 hurricanes it is claimed the BOUNTY "sailed through" previously...

Not to mention, any of the other "too many to count" his wife refers to...

Anyone who claims to have experienced 70-foot swells from a hurricane several hundred miles distant, is more than just "being cute'...

He is absolutely full of it...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook