SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Hello, like I said, for what it's worth (perhaps not much) Bluetooth scares me if it's inserted in a critical application (honestly wifi does too but wifi in practice has gotten pretty damn reliable).

To your point, consider the reliability of an all-in-one Garmin chartplotter versus a PC running Garmin nav software with a USB GPS. Even though the custom chartplotter requires Garmin to "reinvent the wheel" for lots of functionality Windows would otherwise take care of, because they can control the whole thing the result is more reliable. I think we'd both rather rely on the all-in-one.
Hmmm, not sure I would trust my life more on a mediocre Operating System built for the masses "Windows" rather than a purpose built firmware specialized in navigation. Far fewer code paths to QA in purpose built specialized firmware, and no blue screens. IMHO.

Additionally, the biggest issues with BlueTooth is when there are a myriad of devices trying to interconnect with slightly different BT implementations. Now if you have a fixed solution, such as a single remote device connecting to a single end system from the same manufacturer, like Garmin devices to Garmin devices and Simrad devices to Simrad devices; it is very easy to ensure the correct matching and pairing work flawlessly. When Joe Blows BT implementation is of one flavor (chipset) is trying to reliably pair with Random Rons BT implementation (who uses a different chip set) problems can occur. Testing and validating specific devices is the only way to make BT resilient. Again IMHO.

Last edited by kellysails; 11-27-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: BlueTooth rant
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook