SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast climbing
Thread: Mast climbing
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mast climbing

"it would have dropped the guy aloft towards the deck, right? "
Gravity sucks. But that's why safety lines why invented.

If you attached to a safety line with a prussik, or an ascender, it should allow you to go up without incident, and lock up under tension if you start down rapidly. So cutting a line? Well, from the writeup it sounds like the folks who could have cut it, might not be the right people to give sharp objects either.

Reminds me of the first time I used a can recycling machine. You put the can in a hydraulic press, push a button, the machine crushes the can and gives you credit for a nickel. So this machine decides there's something unacceptable about one can and it tells me "Remove can and try again" and as I lifted my hand, I said to myself, self, are you really going to put your hand into a hydraulic press that's operating all by itself and behaving in a demented manner?

Nope. This chimp was taught to use a stick in places like that. Don't really want to know why that macine is upset, certainly not going to put my fingers in to find out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook