SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bridge one, sailboat zero
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 11-28-2012
Blue Horizons
Re: Bridge one, sailboat zero

Last time I was going through the Ortega Landing Bridge I could not get a response from the controller either. I ended up motoring right up to the bridge and having to do circles until the guy finally sees me and hits the buzzer. Im just cuttin circles on CH. 9 like wtf?

Its funny though because I think I usually have the same operator since I go sailing the same times usually. Anyway I single hand most times and since its illegal to go under a bridge under sail I always motor about 200 yards from the bridge then scurry aROUND lowering my sails to motor through.
Well every time I do this once I clear the other side about 100 yards I leave the tiller and start raising sails. Well I always sort of turn around like im getting pushed back under the bridge bc no one is holding the tilller and I swear everytime the guy hits the alarm like I am about to crash into the bridge. Everytime I re-raise my sails and hop back in the ****-pit and correct my course and listen to the buzzer stop.

I bet that guy curses me every time but its funny because he probably thinks im a moron about to crash his boat into the draw bridge. Every time I just look back as I start to sail away and laugh. But its cool though, at least he calls me "cap'n."
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome