Thread: Mainsheet Salsa
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsheet Salsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I wasn't suggesting salsa for a halyard, sorry for the confusion.

Back to the halyard,
Your I dimension is 40.5' ALBERG 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com So to go up the mast and down to the deck once, you need 81'. Call it 82 if you're cleating at the mast and 90 if you're using a mast mount winch and actually want a shackle attached to the other end.

You also need to measure the hypotenuse of a triangle, couple more feet, and if it's blowing, you'll have deflection from the breeze when you're trying to plug in the headsail. Not a straight line = more length. Point is 80' ain't gunna cut it. Not even close, and 90' would also be short imho.

BTW - your mainsail isn't exactly big at 275 sf.
Actually, the measurement is shorter than mast height. The m/m is from top of where shackle attaches to sail to the sheave, which is not quite mast height. The actual dimensions for the halyard are closer to 35' each way.

If you do some research, you'll see that these old design sailboats have very long booms and large mains as compared to the more modern headsail-dependent rigs. Not only do they have long booms but most of the time the sails were roached out to squeeze out the maximum sail area. The large mains actually present a problem with excessive weather helm. I just recut a sail taking out all the roach and then some and shortening the foot so as to have a heavy, less weather helm prone sail. I may shorten the boom eventually.

When I replace the halyard, it'll be 90'+ Wish I had a nice windlass like that!!!

The actual mast measurements for anyone else with an A35, measured on boat:

Deck-mast top-39'-3"
Deck to lowest main track-48"
Deck to halyard winch- 41"
Deck to halyard cleat- 24" or 12"

Last edited by smurphny; 11-28-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added m/ms
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook