SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat: Malango 888

The Malango 888 is , like the Iroise 46, a Pierre Roland design. I liked the previous boat and I love this one even more. If I was on the market for a 30ft, this would be the one. Ok, the interior is a bit crude, but how cool it is a dingy garage on a 30ft boat? On a 40ft boat carrying a dinghy is a drag, on a 30ft boat is just dangerous, I mean if you put it forward it will occupy so much space that with bad weather and the boat heeled it will be dangerous to goo forward. That means that the dingy would have to be on the water, pulled behind the boat....with a lot of drag and loss of speed. Not on this one

Talking about speed this is a light (2 800kg) and fast boat with a ballasted swing keel (Pogo type) with a big draft when down (2.30 -1.0m) with a 30% B/D and a beamy boat (3.45m) with all the beam brought back.

Being light the boat has a relatively small area upwind (56m2 - 25/36) but can carry a huge asymmetric spinnaker downwind (75m2). The boat has a small saildrive with 14cv.

The boat was tested recentely by voile and Voilers. They had fun with the boat and it seems that they forget to measure the speed. Only two were taken:

Main sail and Geenaker: 6K wind at 110ºTRW - 5K speed

Main sail and Asymmetric speed: 15k wind at 140ºTRW - 9K

9k with 15K wind on a 30ft it is very good as it is very good 5K speed with 6k wind. I like this boat

The boat costs without VAT 72 900 euros.

Last edited by PCP; 11-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook