SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
-
Casey, just to keep things accurate, there was no "interview". If you read all of it, you'll see that the reporter was NOT present when the quoted exchange took place. It was in fact the reporter QUOTING THE PERSON QUOTING Walbridge.

The odds that one person will repeat, word-for-word, what another person said, even a very short time later, are pretty long. In the case of the quoted article, dated November 3, several days had elapsed between the time of the conversation and Barbara Neff relaying it to the reporter. There's a reason that hearsay testimony is generally inadmissable in court.

I know I'm replying to a 2 week old post, but this thread has some legs, and I've still got ~20 pages to catch up!
Ok, the article is a little confusing, as the reporter does not specify that she was not present, but I agree, she was not there. But what I was pointing out is that on Oct 25 (prior to departure) the Bounty Capt knew a hurricane was headed his way, and in fact departed early to try to get a "jump" on the cane. He knew he was sailing into a huricane and it is what he planned to do.

I agree personal accounts of what actually happened are not good, and as you mention, not good in courts of law, but we eagerly await what the crew has to say.

Last edited by casey1999; 11-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook