SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

YukonJack is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It will be economically impossible for a Tall Ship to stay in pristine enough condition to pass a serious modern safety inspection. They will have a very difficult time in defining what standard should be acceptable for a ship like Bounty. Further, they could restrict the severity of condition that they undertake a passage, but again, defining it will be difficult.

I think the most likely outcome will be a mandatory minimum crew that have minimum experience applicable to the vessel. Real professionals. They are much more likely to push back than adventuresome passengers lost in the romance of an 18th century tall ship.
As I have stated I am a volunteer on a Tall Ship.

She is very well maintained by a large bench of very multi skilled volunteers.

She was invited this year to attend a Tall Ships Festival in Nova Scotia. The Guild maintains very strict sailing guidlines and her travels are limited North to MA and South to Norfolk. They really wanted to do the trip because she was in high demand and had not been there since the 90's. They had her professionally surveyed. She was cleared for take off.

It depends on the organization that owns these Tall Ships as to there maintence and sailing protocols.

We do have a professional component to the crew also. The captain, fist mate & second mate are all licensed. One of our captains comes from the ranks of the professional maritime trades
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook