SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

jcboyce is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

I believe there is a 37 or 35 in MDR, Broker has it.

1) assuming is for fools.
2)Inspect it from Stem to stern, looking for cracked glass joints at, tanks, bulkheads, keel bolts, hull deck joints, Or anything you can't explain.
3)look for water trails, odd wear marks.
4)Most rudders are shaft / bar construction, and seamed around the edges, look for cracks.
5) the Betta I remember from china sounded like it had a cracked tuning fork in it, But, It's there. It's been years but I think some of the Albergs had an Atomic 4 23 hp. that displacement hull will flow your wetted surfaces well limiting drag. though I don't think I've been on an Alberg in 33 to 35 years, stuffing box hose was lose.
As for the paper graph, the paper was $8 a roll in the 80 I think it was. Are you planning to do salvage diving and need a record of what you went over?
The interior looks to be solid teak frames with Formica(Trade name). You can paint it. or you could Assuming It is what I think, remove the Formica, and replace it with a teak veneer, Sand and Varnish or Teak oil all of the above. If you don't know how seal the teak and paint, unless you use epoxy paint it will probably fall off anyway, but you will have time to gather the skills you need to move forward.

Sounds easy. I bought my current prize while she was sunk. So your way ahead.
JCBoyce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook