SailNet Community - View Single Post - Poor tacking on a Hobie
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

bentye007 is on a distinguished road
Re: Poor tacking on a Hobie

I have been teaching sailing all my life and even very experienced sailors find the transition from a mono-hull to a beach style Catamaran difficult. My best advice is to go out with an experienced sailor or instructor or an hour or two. Trying to teach yourself you will just develop mad habits. As for those people who say just gybe, don't listen to them, complete rubbish. Bear in mind sometimes a tack will not be successful so give yourself plenty of room near obstructions. Most point have been already raised but my tips are.
(1) Plenty of boat speed going into the tack.
(2) Make sure you are close to the wind, the track should be close reach to close reach, not reach to reach. This is a common mistake because people often have no wind awareness. Secondly as most Cats are fully battened the sails do not flap and even correctly sheeted they still travel relatively fast. On most mono-hulls if the sails are not set correctly they make a hell of a noise and the boat soon stops. Little bits of wool thread tide onto the shrouds five or six feet up make a great cheap wind indicator.
(3) When you take try to push the rudders over as little as possible, do not move until the last minute, keep weight to windward and aft. Let the jib back and slowing the boat will come through the wind. Do not straighten until you are out of the no go zone. Pull the jib across and make sure the battens in the main have popped over. Once on the new tack bear away slightly to power the boat up before trying to point to high up wind.

Happy Sailing
Ben
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook