SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Again, I believe the best outcome will be to find this totally inadequate.

Getting your profession ticket on a merchant ship, for example, allows for zero experience sailing an 18th century replica. The deck hands should have specific experience as well, when going offshore.

Nonsensical psuedo training, non-inspected vessel stuff should end.

Let them sit at dockside or putter around the bay, but if you want to move them in open water, the crew should be locked and loaded for anything. They should have serious experience, in addition to their ticket. Not just supervised. No joy rides.

I don't really care if one wants to risk their life. This example shows, in my opinion, that one may be convinced to take a risk they have no way to measure themselves and accept the reputation of the skipper as their guidance.
I would hate to see all tall masts as dockside attraction even if I believe that a strict ruling is needed. Yukon's ship, Gazela, is a very different ship from Bounty: It is already (not for much) a XX century sailing ship as most of the tall ships around. By design they make an huge difference to Bounty (a XVIII century design) in all aspects including seaworthiness.

Yukon says that their organization does already a strict ruling in what regards the conditions the ship can sail and that is basically coastal with fair weather.

I don't see any harm in that providing the ship is maintained in good condition (as he says).

I just believe that should not be left to the good sense of the owner or the organization that owns the ship. The ships should be subjected to mandatory regular serious inspections not only in what regards safety means but also structural ones and in function of that should be classified in regards to what they can do and sail and if needed, limiting them to dock attractions.

I believe also that each ship should be regulated in what regards the number of professional sailors needed to sail the boat safely and the required qualifications.

We, as most countries with a sea history, have several tall ships and some of them have circumnavigated many times and are able to do that in all safety. Sagres have done that last year, one more time.

but this is a XX century steel boat that has as crew navy sailors and Captain (training vessel). They get ,young people aboard for training or enjoying sailing (even while circumnavigating) but if needed or in bad weather the ship will not be sailed by them but by the permanent crew.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-29-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook