SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Wow, "heaving-to" is putting it politely, looks like lying ahull is more like it... Hell, that scrap of sail they're flying isn't all that much bigger than my storm jib, or trysail...

Gotta admit, she DOES leave a pretty damn good slick to weather... (grin)

Always tough to tell from photos or video, but I'm guessing the sustained wind speed for most of that vid is perhaps 35, with higher gusts?

Can you imagine the behavior of that pig in hurricane-force winds, in the Gulf Stream?

Well, at least having the thing starting to sink beneath you would likely dampen the rolling somewhat...

Yeah, looks like a hell of a ship on which to "chase hurry-canes"... Get that pig in the Southeast Quadrant, you'd have a "pretty good ride", for sure...
Really! It looks downright unstable. I can't believe how rapidly it heeled...like a folded paper boat. It is certainly not hove-to in any sense of the word but rather surviving a beam sea under essentially bare poles. Makes you wonder why anyone would stay aboard after the first time it experienced a moderate blow. After watching that video, I'm convinced that there were MAJOR design issues with this PROP. Compare it to Paulo's picture above which shows a square rigger actually sailing nicely in what looks to be a 15 knot wind. These boats CAN sail as I noticed in and around NYC during the Bicentennial. They get a lot of leeward slippage but they are able to point up in a heavy wind and they are able to heave-to.

Last edited by smurphny; 11-29-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook