SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
A question. The original Bounty was 91 feet on deck had a 24-foot beam, drew 13 feet and had a displacement of 215 tons. The new Bounty was 120 feet on deck, had a 30-foot beam also drew 13 feet and had a displacement of 412 tons. Wonder what if any effect upsizing the Bounty had an effect on the ship's seaworthiness.
---------------------
Seems to me that everyone refers to the ship as the HMS Bounty. As far as I know she was never part of the Royal Navy (or any other navy for that matter). Just a quibble but I find it annoying
You are right. The original was the HMS Bounty because it was a Navy boat even if it was not designed to be one. The replica, as you said, was just a bad replica and makes not any sense to call her "Her (or His) Majesty Ship", specially in Republican America.

Regarding seaworthiness given all things equal, a bigger ship is a more seaworthy ship. Regarding the Bounty it all depends of how it was made bigger: It was made bigger according the designs of a Naval Architect? and even so it would have to be one experienced in the designs of that type of ships, I mean old wooden ships. I guess that it would not be anyone that would be confident in what regards scantlings on a wood XVIII century ship design.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook