SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Paulo, do you read other people posts in this thread?
Well read this post carefully, and the posts after it, 1029 etc. because I would like some thoughtful comments not just people fobbing the idea off. If its been rebalasted to lighten it so the ship does not need to go through a safety inspection we have a extremely worrying situation!
Sorry about that I did not have saw it.

Originally Posted by casey1999
I read on the "wooden boat forum" where the Bounty was reballasted recently. The 80,000 lb of lead was removed from bilge and 65,000 lb "shoe" was added (I assume attached to the exterior of the keel). I assume the calculation would show moment arm would be the same for the two ballasting methods. The coast guard did have an issue during an inspection with the ballasting calculations (for the reballasting) but they were corrected on paper. Interesting though why the ballasting change.

That can eventually gave the same RM but I am not sure it would not increase roll also.

On fact I have done the same to an old traditional boat that I owned, but in my case I increased RM. putting more ballast on the outside of the keel I got a much more stiff boat, able to carry more sail but a boat that with the sails down rolled a lot more. I had also heard saying that one of the things that gave to the aluminum French centerboarders such a good dynamic stability was the fact that they have all the ballast inside the boat and that make them roll less. I am no sure about this though.

Regards

Paulo

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-29-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook