SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
A question. The original Bounty was 91 feet on deck had a 24-foot beam, drew 13 feet and had a displacement of 215 tons. The new Bounty was 120 feet on deck, had a 30-foot beam also drew 13 feet and had a displacement of 412 tons. Wonder what if any effect upsizing the Bounty had an effect on the ship's seaworthiness.
---------------------
Seems to me that everyone refers to the ship as the HMS Bounty. As far as I know she was never part of the Royal Navy (or any other navy for that matter). Just a quibble but I find it annoying
As I have been saying right from the start here: If you make a hull larger, the draft must also change. The righting moment is changed drastically if the depth of the weight is not changed in proportion to the overall change in size of the hull. That's why the extreme rolling motion is evident in that video. I wonder if this boat could have pointed up very far in even a 15 knot wind. There was just not enough hull in the water and not enough weight low enough to keep her from heeling over wildly.