SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
If I am not mistaken SN member smurphny also has an Alberg 35'.
I am also a fan of good old plastic classics like the A 35'. My Tartan 27' is from 1967.
Good news is the newer Beta 20 HP engine. For the A35 I would have considered a Beta 28 but 20 hp should be fine - especially with a 3 blade prop on it. It is also a good thing that the boat does not come with a lot of electronics and such as they become obsolete quite quickly.
I have a 1970 Yankee 30 and would never get rid of her is she was 5 feet longer and had a inch more head room! I never thought I would be moving to an older boat (certainly nothing without ST winches!), but a Alberg/Ericson 35 caught my eye in the marina.
Just got a copy of a survey that was done on the Alberg in 1999. She had a 30hp A4 which was not working at the time. Interestingly, the owner was apparently sailing her as a Sloop and had the Mizzen in his Garage. The current owner says in strong winds (SF Bay most Summer afternoons!), he likes to use the Head sail and Mizzen without a Main. From what I've read, the boat is initially tender, and has a fair amount of Weather Helm in strong winds, so the second approach probably makes sense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook