SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter
L124C

Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
If I am not mistaken SN member smurphny also has an Alberg 35'.
I am also a fan of good old plastic classics like the A 35'. My Tartan 27' is from 1967.
Good news is the newer Beta 20 HP engine. For the A35 I would have considered a Beta 28 but 20 hp should be fine - especially with a 3 blade prop on it. It is also a good thing that the boat does not come with a lot of electronics and such as they become obsolete quite quickly.
I have a 1970 Yankee 30 and would never get rid of her is she was 5 feet longer and had a inch more head room! I never thought I would be moving to an older boat (certainly nothing without ST winches!), but a Alberg/Ericson 35 caught my eye in the marina.
Just got a copy of a survey that was done on the Alberg in 1999. She had a 30hp A4 which was not working at the time. Interestingly, the owner was apparently sailing her as a Sloop and had the Mizzen in his Garage. The current owner says in strong winds (SF Bay most Summer afternoons!), he likes to use the Head sail and Mizzen without a Main. From what I've read, the boat is initially tender, and has a fair amount of Weather Helm in strong winds, so the second approach probably makes sense.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome