SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Originally Posted by bloodhunter
... But does anyone know (not rumor but fact) whether Walbridge actually did any of the things he talked about -- chasing hurricanes, running under bare poles in a 70 kt wind, etc. I mean true hurricane-force winds and seas, not a near gale with some gusts of 50 kts. Watching the interview I had a feeling he had not, but I really don't know. I have to confess that some 50 years ago, through an act of supreme stupidity by myself and three other young men, I was caught in a similar situation to that of the Bounty in more or less the same area. We were lucky to survive. I just can't imagine anyone who has gone through a hurricane in a small boat talking as blithely about it as Walbridge did in that interview.

Both the crew and Walbridge's wife are on record that he DID in fact sail into hurricanes.

There is also a fairly disturbing video of Bounty heaving to-

Rough seas on HMS Bounty - YouTube

They call that "rough seas", then he claimed to have sailed in 70 footers.... Go figure....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook