SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you fold sails on deck?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you fold sails on deck?

Your procedure sounds just like mine. Some details:

I leave the sail hanked on until it's ready to go in the bag.

I stretch the sail out along the port side cabintop rather than the side-deck; I have tiny side-decks.

I flake from the foot upward. With the sail hanked on, just pulling aft on the leech is enough and the sail flakes itself.

After flaking, I kneel down on the starboard foredeck, right hand about one sailbag-length behind the luff and left hand another sailbag-length behind that. Right hand lifts the flaked sail up, left hand folds the sail underneath the right hand. Repeat until the flaked sail is stacked with the head on top and sheets (permanently attached) sticking out the bottom.

If I'm going to bag the sail, I bag it with the label on top. If I'm unbending it, that happens now. Next time I go out I know the sail will be configured so that it will hoist cleanly. This is especially handy when anchoring out for the night, in which case I sometimes flip the sail around (still hanked on) into the pulpit where it will be lashed in place, and just bring it back and unbag it next morning, ready to go.