SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I saw the boat on yachtworld. Lots of pictures of it (including the antique graph) and overall it looks like a pretty good size project. I'm guessing you'll have plenty have plenty of man-hours invested by the time you get it shining.
No doubt, but I'm not afraid of boat work if it brings her back to life and it makes sense financially (in boat terms!). If the deck isn't too bad it looks like some paint, varnish, instruments and upholstery will go a long way. Looked at a Ericson 38 years ago with a new Yanmar. Asking price was 15K (the motor was worth 15K). The owner had started several hair brained projects and not finished most of them. I would have needed to gut the boat and start over. I easily could have put 30K into the boat (plus the 15K) and a LOT of time, and would have had a boat that I could have bought for 30K Elsewhere (with a older, serviceable motor). Didn't make sense.
This boat appears to be just the opposite. The owner simply didn't do anything, including maintenance. At least he didn't screw everything up!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook