SailNet Community - View Single Post - Washed up on shore - see the "rescue"
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Washed up on shore - see the "rescue"

I kind of wonder why they didn't try to kedge off, once the crane had spotted the boat close to the water. The boat would have floated out on its beam ends, with the keel dragging almost effortlessly behind if they had been able to rig a purchase from the mast head to a significant kedge anchor or a mooring set for the purpose (obviously expense was no object). This would have been easier on the boat than prodding it with the excavator and trying to push the keel through the sand.

Ask me how I know. I had to kedge my boat off the beach after it chafed through its mooring pennants during Tropical Storm Noel in 2007. I rigged a 3-part tackle to the mast head from anchor windlass to a mooring offshore. First I had to winch the boat upright and the let her splash onto the other bilge. Then I winched her down until the portholes were just about in the water...and she floated free as easy as you please. Sorry, no video; I was working solo by the light of a Coleman lantern at 2:00 AM to catch the high tide.

Kedging off is a text book self-rescue technique and I can vouch for its effectiveness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aground.jpg (72.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook