SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Sorry I do not understand the Ice gate thing. Is there a limit set by the race officials of how deep they can go into the ice?

If so then the top 7 or 8 boats in 90 hours are going to all be in light winds if they have to stay in the 40's. The 500 mb charts look bad for good wind. But that would let the slower boats make up ground.

Speaking of weather, looks like the ARC is all over the map as the weather is still weird. I do not think this will be a traditional trade wind year and I think there will be lots of beam on swell coming from up north.

No not mine, someone else. Boreals boat, Juan Sa Bulan is off to do a nice run around Cape Horn. 3 young men sailing her and having a great adventure as young sailors should.

Cheers
If you want to post about ARC be my guest. Last year I have posted but I have not find the time this year. The ARC with so many boats can give an idea of how the boats behave in what regards speed but it is all relative. It depends on the crew and on other things. Last year a big Island Packet was making a fast ARC...and then started to slow down. I guess they started to become short on diesel

Regarding the gates, yes there are plenty of them and the finality is to put the guys on a safe path out of icebergs and growlers. On the first editions there was no gates there was some nasty accidents and many just had a lot of luck and on that place the only guy that can help you is another racer, everybody else is thousands of miles away.

They have to leave Gouph Island to port and then they have to cross several gates along the way. The first one is south of Cape da Boa Esperança (I don't understand why you guys translate the name of capes, we don't call "chifre" to the horn). To see all the gates just open the tracker, don't touch the scale and follow the route. You will see all the gates.

Cheers

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook