SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I spend thousands on lessons, or....
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Should I spend thousands on lessons, or....

Good gravy. I've seen this question asked a million times. The answer...OR...

Here's the deal, let's say you drop a poopwad of cash on a crash ASA course...101-115. Is that going to make you a sailor? No.

Sailing doesn't take money. It takes time.

I've reeled in over 1,500 miles of offshore experience. What did I pay? $0.

How you ask?

You learn everything you can about sailing. Then you make sure you're not a complete buttmonkey. Then you whore yourself out as crew for off-shore races in your area.

If you are, indeed, not a buttknuckle, and you know enough to only make pretty small mistakes, and the skipper likes you...you keep going out...for free. The skipper treats you well - because you add something to the boat. And you learn A HELL OF A LOT.

It's simple. You only pay thousands of dollars to become a "sailor" if you're a complete peckerpimple. Otherwise, you go sailing with dudes that know how to sail.

Or you buy a dinghy/beachcat...that'll do it too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook