SailNet Community - View Single Post - charging systems
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: charging systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oday 30 View Post
Anyone know the foremost authority in the Internet for finding electrical diagrams. I am looking to hook up a charger/inverter to a house bank while having solar and the alternator hooked to both batteries via an isolator. I'm just wondering if the charger will back feed through the isolator to the solar control.

You really don't want to use an "isolator". You are much better to use an Echo Charger or an Automatic Combining Relay. Most solar controllers will not even work with an isolator.. Isolators are like dinosaur saddles, they went out with the dark ages...

The I/C would be hooked up per the manufacturers instructions using the AC transfer switch on the AC side then two LARGE cables to the house bank with sufficient Class T fusing within 7" of the battery bank. All charge sources would then run directly to the house bank including solar and alternator. The ACR or Echo or other battery to battery charger would take care of keeping the second bank topped up.

Depending upon your inverter loads it can be wise to install separate charger and inverter units. I find the combo units, especially the less expensive ones, tend to have a pretty short service life and when one side goes they are both dead. If buying an I/C I would urge you to consider brands like Magnum or Mastervolt and not the one that begins with "X"...

I recently had a Xantrex Prosine series that went "tits up" and he had NO CHARGER or INVERTER..... He also killed a $1500.00 bank of expensive AGM batteries so the total cost was significantly higher than just replacing the I/C...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook