SailNet Community - View Single Post - Follow the ARC
Thread: Follow the ARC
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Follow the ARC

The Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC) has been underway for a couple of days. The route covers the 2800 nm from Canaries to Caribbean via the tradewind route. I'm following it because we may do the passage in 2014.

At the website you can follow the fleet ("fleet tracker" buttton) and read logs of participants. See ARC

I spent an hour or so this morning reading through the logs and found some very interesting. For those who have not made an ocean crossing, this reading might be educational as you'll get a sense for how crews are coping with various challenges -- gear failures, weather, sea sickness, etc.

The start was delayed this year by a low pressure system that produced strong winds coming up the rhumb line. After the start they had a few days of sub-gale force winds and big seas. It's a tough way to get the crew and boat settled into a routine, but it seems like most participants are doing well so far. My guess is that within a few days all boats will be well into the trades and the reading will mostly be about big fish caught and the resulting cuisine, and will produce much less interesting reading.

Have a look!

If you find something worth sharing -- post it on this thread and we can discuss / learn form it.

Last edited by billyruffn; 11-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook