SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
WOW. We've already become butyl tape converts. Now the discussion moves to quality of butyl tape! Actually seems an appropriate evolution.

- Charlie (what do I do with my home depot stuff?)
I just recently bought a Freedom 25 off EBay of all places and while I was bringing it down the intracoastal canal from Pt Arthur to Kemah, TX I got into some little showers. I noticed a few small drippy leaks from bolts on the deck/hull joint and around the compass. There was significant travail on this trip but this was at the beginning.

Having read the first page or two of this thread, I rushed out and bought some of this wonderful stuff that I knew I could get cheap from home depot. After I messed around with it a little, I came back and read the whole thread. I have now received two rolls from Maine Sail and the HD stuff will be used when I re-work my carport, not the boat!

There is a HUGE difference between the products. If I did not know they had the same base, I would not believe it. The Home Depot stuff is more like plumber's putty. It will fill the gap but not take a whole lot of movement. When it is compressed, it does not stick and elongate like the stuff Maine Sail is selling when things are moved and pulled apart.

Maine Sail, you DE MAN! Thanks!

Have FUN!
O'
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook