SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
...it speaks also to the tangential discussion in this thread, and my contention that the latest and greatest technology does not necessarily, or by definition, make today's sailors better, or safer...
It makes us less safe. Look at the other discussion about spending $700 to make coastal cruising safer. The entire thread became a debate about which electronic device to buy to allow one to call for help, instead of a discussion about how to make the boat safer and self-sufficient. Once one buys an EPIRB and a liferaft, one can engage in all kinds of stupid on any ill-suited vessel in any conditions!

Technology is fun, cheap and easy, an apparent shortcut to the lengthy requirements of competence gained through study and experience. The same could be said about these questionable sailing certifications (although they are not cheap). Spending months taking the relatively inexpensive USCG Auxiliary or Power Squadron courses so one could really start to understand boating is out of the question - I want to learn how to sail safely in a week so I can go on a fantasy charter!

Last edited by jameswilson29; 12-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook