SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Right" boat for the ICW and NC gunkholing?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012

dwblueblue is on a distinguished road
"Right" boat for the ICW and NC gunkholing?

Hello folks. I have a question and would appreciate some advice. Planning for semi-retirement, we are thinking of changing boats to fit our needs, including on the ICW and gunkholing NC coast. Therefore draft is a consideration. Also we expect that as we further age, the next boat will be used more to motor than sail.

We currently have a wonderful Cheoy Lee Offshore 28 in Maine. What we like about her: Full keel with cut away forefoot, protected prop and rudder, draft under 4’ with board up and mast under 40’ powered by Yanmar 30. It also has an elevated table/seating below that works like a deck saloon with a view of surroundings as you sit at the table.

While this could make for a good boat for us and the ICW, we also want to have room for guests along the way and are looking at boats with second cabin.

As price is an important consideration, we have looked, and read on-line, about many older boats including motorsailors, such as older Nauticat 33. Considering we could have the cockpit as seating “with a view,” we looked at Luder’s Midshipman 36, Gulfstar 36 and also viewed some catamarans. We certainly want to keep sailing, as well as motor the ICW. We want to keep size down, which will help with size of rig, anchor, etc. and help with costs. Lastly, aesthetics are a consideration.

What other boats might we look at? What draft should we consider for the ICW and for gunkholing NC? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
David (and Nancy)

ps - I hope this is the right place to post this question. Let me know if I need to move it. thanks