SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for dinghy/tender ideas
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
looking for dinghy/tender ideas

Good morning. We're finishing up updating/improving/gettng ready our 27' Catalina for an extended trip next year (two months - May and June of 2013). It's coming together pretty good now.

However, having trouble figuring out what to do about a tender/dinghy. so, I'd love some ideas and suggestions.

A couple of yeaes ago, I built a 8' pram style dinghy (stitch and glue) out of plywood and fiberglass. It rows great, fairly stable, and has a little sailing rig too - really moves! However, we can't figure out what to do with it on board. I really don't want to tow it everywhere (crossing the gulf stream to the bahamas). We have an outboard on the sailboat's stern, so not a lot of room for davits. Its pretty hard to get up and stored on the foredeck, and impossible to get at the anchor locker when there. We tried winching it up to the foredeck using the spinnaker halyard, but we couldn't seem to pull it up with that.

I've tried one of those cheap inflatable style raft things. This would be great because we could just deflate it and store below when sailing any distance. however, it's crappy to row, everything gets wet and I "think" coral or rough bottom would rip it to shreds quickly.

any thoughts for storing the hard dinghy I already have? or ideas of a "good" inflatable we could easily put below?

thx, markb

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook