SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006

sea_strutter is on a distinguished road
Between too soon and too late

I think that there is some difference between cruising after (Long-term) vs. cruising during/before (a year or two long cruise)your peak earning period that needs to be addressed. Being younger makes it easier to pick up and push off for a year or two. If it don't work then I can always come back home, albiet tail between legs, get a job maybe making a little less than before, have to get another apartment, etc. Point is, at this point in life, things are more flexible. It's very popular for kids out of highschool or uni to take a year to travel - I've had lots of friends who took off to backpack through Vietnam, Europe, Africa. Why not take a boat with you instead of a backpack? Why not spend $5-10k on a little pocket cruiser instead of spending the same on fleabag hotels/hostels in a year? Sure, you may not make it to Europe, but the carribean can and has been done in boats that cost WAY less than 10k. And at the end of the trip, you've got a boat that can be sold off to finance getting re-established. This may sound like I'm "pushing" the short-term cruising idea on people, but really I'm just trying to sell myself on it, and if I bring anyone else along for the ride then that's good too.
Who else has the same idea of short-term cruise and what are your thoughts? For those of you who where in that spot at one point or another and did or didn't go, care to lend us whippersnappers any words of wisdom?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook