SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winterizing on the hard
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Winterizing on the hard

Itchy and Scratchee,
I have owned a raw water cooled A4 for 10 years now up in the NY area. When you say your engine is 'fresh water cooled' that usually means you have a heat exchanger (HX) with a cooling circuit of anti-freeze and another circuit of raw water which requires two water pumps. Raw water cooled engines have no anti-freeze circuit and only one water pump.

-If you keep your boat in the water on the Chessy it will likely be warmer than if you had it hauled onto the hard. The water temps rarely get below 32F down there.

-Raw water intake and HX need to be winterized on your 'fresh water cooling' system. The anti-freeze or 'fresh water' circuit obviously does not need to be winterized. I usually do this by running the engine long enough to suck in a gallon or 2 of RV antifreeze. If you don't want to run the engine then I'd suggest draining all raw water cooling hoses, the HX raw water side, remove water pump impeller to allow water to drain out and figure out how to drain your exhaust system. I'd guess an air compressor might help with some of this to help force the water out.
- fog the cylinders. This step involves putting an ounce or 2 of Marvel Mystery Oil or equivalent 'fogging oil' into the spark plug holes in the top of the engine/head. Once the oil is in there I usually turn the engine over to spread it around. The engine does not have to actually start to accomplish this so the spark plug wires could be detached for this step.

The best A4 advice I have found on the web comes from the Moyer Marine forum. There are several A4 owners from the Chessy who post there.

If you want a good A4 mechanic to show you what to do this winter I'd recommend Will Sibley who lives around Shadyside, MD.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 12-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook