SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winterizing on the hard
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Winterizing on the hard

The only worry I have about running an engine on the hard, is the vibration when on the stands. Maybe borrow an extra pair or two and be sure you have them chained across.

I would not worry about the cooling at all. While I'm not very familiar with the A4, I assume the fresh water coolant has a thermostat, which won't even warm enough to open by the time you're done.

The sure fire way to get the job done is to pull the hose off the raw water seacock and stick it in a bucket of antifreeze. If there isn't enough slack, then just get another couple of feet of hose and a coupler. If your strainer is above the motor, as mine is, you can just pour the antifreeze into it with a funnel or large hose. Gravity should remove the raw water from the strainer to the thru hull in that case.

If this is your first year, make a checklist and write everything down that you do. It will make planning much easier next year and winterizing will take half the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook