SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The PCOP is a joke and just gives the impression of certification ... and provides some income for those who sell them at boat shows. .
I agree.. hence the statement "not particularly qualifying".. but it's at least a start. For most Canadian cruising grounds I think full on Yachtmaster/Oceanic certification would be overkill, but I'd like to see the CPSS basic course the minimum rather than the $60 quickie course/test.

I think we'd see far fewer boats stranded on sandbars or rocks immediately adjacent to the buoy that told you to go the other side.

The other failing of this system is, at least in Vancouver, the 16 foot rental runabouts where all you need is a credit card, and they put the renter (often foreign visitors) through an even more abbreviated checklist before sending them on their way. We frequently find them totally lost, or out of fuel, or both.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook