SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Once over on her ear, the A35 would stiffen up nicely and go no further, but it was easy to put her in that state in the first place. And she would track like she was on rails. And that weather helm! Holy mother of god that boat would pull to weather something fierce. It took some fancy sail adjustments to make it so the wheel was comfortable to handle. Not a particularly weatherly boat either, and whoever said they don't perform well in light air also hit the nail on the head. I don't mean to say the boat sails like a dog; she doesn't. The A35 was an able performer for her day, and can still give you great pleasure. I just don't think its a good choice for someone who sails regularly in light airs, or who wants to race. Its a fairly wet boat that requires some physical stamina to sail (you try heeling at 20 degrees for several hours at a time in a boat with strong weather helm). That's perfect for some people and not so much for others.
How does a boat track well and have excessive weather helm at the same time? Seems like a contradiction in terms. Don't mind heeling, but if I couldn't tune out the weather helm with sail trim or reducing sail (nothing "fancy"), that would be a problem. Heading up occasionally in a gust is fine, but you shouldn't have to fight weather helm for hours. Surely Alberg knew that!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook