SailNet Community - View Single Post - Urbanna for marina location
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Urbanna for marina location

James,
I'm surprised no one more local has not chimed in yet. I know the area because a buddy of mine had a place and sailboat in Deltaville for a few years some time ago. We'd always drive through Urbanna on the way from Deltaville. I always thought of Urbanna as kind of a back water except it offered the best shopping for provisions and such - but I'm a darn Yankee so what do I know? Some parts of Maryland make me think I'm in the deep South.
I'll bet you'd find marina prices pretty reasonable and fairly few sailboats there. Likely the same in Deltaville. Urbanna is at least 10 NM from the mouth of the Rappahonock so it would likely take you about 2 hours @ 5 knots to get to the Chessy proper. The Rapp is one of the cleanest rivers on the Chessy watershed (a plus for sure, very little industry). It is not particularly wide though and some parts can be quite shallow so I'm not sure how great the Rapp would be for just a quick day sail with your P 28'. One of the issues is that you have to go out at least 1 NM further from Stingray and Windmill points until the water gets deep enough to forget about worrying about the depths. And then there are the crab pots.
If it is sailing on the Chessy that you want I'd look into Deltaville as it is not much farther a drive and a lot closer to they Bay. The water table in Deltaville yielded particularly hard water. I would think that slip prices in D'ville would also be quite reasonable. Urbanna would still be a good place to get provisions though.

Caveat emptor: my experiences there were over 20 years ago. YMMV.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook