SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at a Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Can you expand on that? Maximum torque and hull speed doesn't intuitively make sense.
No? I think it does - torque is the "grunt" that actually pushes your boat - horsepower is only torque delivered over time. When you step on the gas at a light, it's torque that pushes you back in your seat (and please don't say it's inertia, I know that subtlety )

The peak torque RPM is where a diesel is most fuel efficient so having it placed to coincide with a boats hull speed is going to give you the best "gas mileage".

Stationary engines chug along around their torque peak - they are sized to do that - it's more efficient than running a larger engine slower or a smaller engine faster.

This is the basic concept behind varying or modifying a props pitch - it moves the engines RPM into a more efficient range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook