SailNet Community - View Single Post - Follow the ARC
Thread: Follow the ARC
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Follow the ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
JOn...was that who passed us in the fog off of the Patapsco yesterday...I would have waved.
You would have had to be out there pretty early, I was in Annapolis by about 0900... REALLY dumb move stopping at Tolchester the night before, should have just kept going thru... But there was no mention of fog in the forecast, and I was a bit tired after leaving Cape May around 0400, so... However, I should have known better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We were out with the Radar and AIS on. Have a new real time AIS Ap on the IPad I am trying out called Boat Beacon/ Was running it concurrently yesterday and today with my networked AIS ( Raymarine). First time I used it and the AP was spot on.

Not an endorsement yet, but at first glance worked well. Even showed time the AIS was updated. Longest one was 2 minutes on an anchored ship south of the Bay Bridge.

Dave
Gotta confess, I'm completely clueless about iPad apps, and their use aboard boats... But, how far offshore would such a thing work? It's dependent upon some sort of cellular or similar signal, no?

When it comes to AIS, I'd much prefer consistent, real-time info from a true AIS receiver... With manufacturers like Standard Horizon offering VHF with integrated AIS receive capability for $300, I'd much prefer going that route, without having to worry about a device like an iPad, that needs to be kept charged, or is dependent upon some 3rd party site/app, etc...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook