SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why pay to sail in a rally?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Why pay to sail in a rally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
For someone with limited experience, the longer rallies have the reassurance of knowing that others are watching the weather or can help out if things go wrong. Also insurers look more favorably on a first long distance voyage if it is part of an organized group.
First time I've heard that about insurance... Doubt it would be a very good investment, can't imagine whatever "discount" would be sufficient to recoup the $1500+ tab for a rally like the Caribbean 1500...

As far as someone else "watching the weather" for me, if that service is being provided by one like that which gave the green light for the NARC rally last November, I think I'll pass, thank you...

And, as far as "helping out if things go wrong", I've seen very little evidence of a rally organizer's actual ability to do so... The Carib 1500 sure didn't offer much help to RULE 62, it would seem... And, many forget, they came very close to suffering another tragedy that same year, when another boat in their charge - a smaller Hallberg-Rassy - took the decision to abandon the rally after the first night, and attempt to enter Oregon Inlet in a heavy NE swell... I can't believe the organizers didn't try to dissuade them in no uncertain terms from making such a poor/risky decision, and convince them to heave-to or forereach on port tack until conditions moderated, or simply continue on thru another night to Beaufort/Morehead City... The boat was dropped hard on Oregon Inlet's outer bar during their transit, suffering heavy damage to their keel and rudder, instead... The skipper later admitted it had been a bad mistake, and considered they were lucky to have survived... Those sheeple deserved better advice from their Shepherd for their $1500, seems to me...

In my observation/interaction with offshore rally participants, the primary motivation for plunking down that sort of cash appears to be an effort to assuage the fears of their spouses, and caving into their mistaken belief that there is anything resembling "safety in numbers" during the course of an offshore passage... Simpler to just pay for the Placebo Effect, I suppose, than to acknowledge the simple reality that if you have any real doubts about your ability or confidence to undertake a bluewater passage on your own, well... then you're not ready, PERIOD...

Darrell Nicholson's take on the whole deal is pretty balanced, I think:

Rethinking the Rally Concept - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook