SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
An open letter addressed to, and attacking, a dead man. Classy. On Facebook, no less, a long estabished bastion of maritime knowledge.
I'm no naval architect or credentialed bluewater sailor, or anybody with intials following my name on my business card, but i can recognize a cheap attention-whoring bitch- move when i see it.

Since the letter was dated yesterday, Roger, I am not sure how lost it would have, or could have, been in the "morass" of the thread to which it pertains.

The wrong boat was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
That's the lesson. It really is simply that simple. Any more pontificating by those of us who weren't there, no matter what our credentials, is simply dancing on graves. The skipper bears the burden of his decisions and paid the ultimate price.
A psychic likely has more credibility than a retired naval architect at this point, since the psychic can at least hazard a guess as to what the skipper was thinking when he made the diecisions he did. an NA can hazard a guess as to why the boat reacted as it did.
In all fairness, in reading the letter it appears that the writer has a personal connection to one that was lost. If I may be so bold; If it was you, or I, who lost someone we may need an outlet and it could all be part of the process.

"On facebook, no less" Well, that's how the world communicates nowadays. We may not like it, but, it's a major part of how most people who communicate on line do communicate. If it's not facebook it's linkedin or google+ or, well, sailnet. Sailnet is nothing more or less than an elderly tunnel vision version of facebook...except sailnet is trying to get us to buy something directly from them rather than just outside advertisers.

Respectfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook