SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Roger Long
Retired Naval Architect
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

I think the flames above are missing the point, perhaps because of not knowing who the author of the letter is. One seems to think I wrote it. I didn't. Do some Google research on Jan C. Miles.

Sure, the same things have been said but not yet by a professional peer and friend of Wallbridge. Jan is actually more than a peer given his level of experience. I've know him since 1983 and he has been involved with sailing vessel losses and safety issues more than all but a couple of sailing ship masters.

I'm not going to pass judgement on the tone or the content. The anger I can certainly understand. The industry Jan had given his life to has been badly damaged, a beautiful ship is gone, and friends of his are dead. He is a lot closer to this than anyone who has posted here or elsewhere.

The facts are fairly clear. A lot of armchair or toy boat sailors could have written much the same letter as a post here and it would not have had the same significance. I think it's worth noting that Jan is saying these things because of who he is.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome