SailNet Community - View Single Post - An Informed Opinion about the Bounty
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Simple explainations are better. I dont want to psycoanalyze this Captain. How can you do that he is dead. He cant tell you why. Besides it doesnt matter

Its enough for me to know he knew the danger....he choose to ignor the omnipresent storm which continued to grow and was forecasted to enlarge....he sailed right at it and when presented with opertunity to correct his mistake by running for port choose not to insyead placed himself beetween it in the Gulf Stream at the graveyard of the Atlantic Cape Hatteras

I disagree fundementally with you...there is nothing to be learned more about that part of the scenario. I also think that there is no way no improve or legislate greater safety into his internal mind decision, he left port and sailed into a hurricane period. Thats the most fundemental fact which has been verified already and we need no investigation for.

I also disagree that other ancilliary issues which actually sunk the ship eg leaking planking, lack of proper redundant systems, poor design, lightening of the overall keel weight etc are found out tha we could in the future make these ships safer, inspectable at any weight, look more carefully at design, require more qualified seaman, change the regualtory requirements etc can still be ascertained from the investigation of the actual vs hersay or speculated facts.

Quote:
Not intended to be snarky. I was professionally involved with boats, mostly commercial ones, all my life. However, when it comes to operating them, I am a toy boat sailor myself-Rogerlong

But you continue to be dismissive of many of us with your language " toy boat sailor" so your statement of not intended snarky continues to be disingenuine. And by the way you titled the thread " An Informed Opinion of Bounty" as opposed to what .....what others are posting.....because why...because you and your friend are professionals and you look down upon the rest of the boating community as just "toy boaters" who in your opinion are less serious than you. Remember its the professionals who gives us the Bounty, Casta Concordia, Titanic, Exon Valdez etc. It has been well established that the liscencing and professional marinaer may on paper be safer or nore well versed or even may have more experience, but none of that means more common sense.

Your friend wrote a prose filled letter to a "dead" man with only one intention. To make his own person FINAL sarcastic morose shot at him without response which acomplished nothing other for him to vent his professional spleen in a public unprofessional manner. You can afix any motives you want to this sir, but that is how some, maybe most ( I am not sure peoples perceptions have been of his diatribe as has been posted already) is. Had he had any balls he would have gone to the gravesite and read it Walbridge himself or stood up before a group of you so called professionals and read it out loud.

In life peoples perceptions can be their realities and it makes no difference how it was intended. Just like I am sur Walbidges perception of what he was doing leaving the dock...didnt equate to the reality of our perceptions. Why he left doesnt matter, he did. Why he left doesnt absolve him of the ultimate responsibility of the fate of the Bounty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook