SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailing family from Easton Pa!
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012

Smier is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailing family from Easton Pa!

I feel like I hit the lottery this year! Granted the Starwind is going to take some serious money to get things back in order... Thankfully, I enjoy working on the boats, maybe even as much as i enjoy sailing them. Also, I have room to invest in the boat without worrying about getting my money back if and when we upgrade...
I'm currently having a hard time finding a fab shop to make my new keel pin brackets in stainless steel, I may end up making them out of plain steel like the originals. A swing keel boat was not my ideal choice, but since we will most likely always be trailer sailors, I am thrilled nonetheless and think the Starwind will eventually be a great next step for the family. I'm still thinking of taking a year to redo the boat properly and not feel rushed like I did with getting the Compac seaworthy again. Plus, I need to let my wallet catch up... One trailer tire for the starwind cost as much as all 3 for the compac! Bigger boat = more $$$$, but even my wife is toying with doing some cruising in another few years!!! So yeah, a bigger boat may be on our distant horizon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook